New staff members joining Decatur

Students spell out

Photo courtesy of Shane Cioccio

Students spell out “SDHS” on the football field.

Kaitlyn Mourlas, Editor-in-Chief

Although the 2020-2021 school year has started in a different way, Stephen Decatur High School continues to welcome new staff members each year. This year The Hawk is highlighting two new additions to the school’s family.

Russell Croteau

Russell Croteau is the new social studies teacher and will be joining Jake Coleman in coaching the football team this school year. Croteau graduated from American University in 2006 and then went on to work in Bladensburg, Easton, and Washington high schools in Maryland. When asked what he is looking forward to this school year, he stated, “Two things. First, I am looking forward to seeing all of our students back in the building. I am glad we have been able to bring back a small number of kids, but I can not wait to see the hallways and classrooms full of students. Second, as an assistant football coach, I am excited to get on the field and help Coach Coleman turn our program into the class of the Bayside Conference.”  Croteau is ready for his journey at Decatur and has been inspired by students and staff to be the best teacher he can be.

Veronica Hayes

Veronica Hayes is the new guidance counselor joining our staff this school year. She is coming to Decatur from Federalsburg Elementary School where she worked for eight years. Before teaching, Hayes attended Salisbury University where she received her undergraduate, University of Maryland Eastern Shore for her first master’s degree, and Wilmington University where she received her second master’s degree. She stated that she is looking forward to, “developing a counseling relationship with all my tenth grade students and getting to know the SDHS staff better.” Hayes is so grateful for all the warm welcomes especially from the guidance staff.