President Trump nominates Amy Coney Barrett for Supreme Court

Courtesy of Creative Commons

Owen McAdams, Staff Writer

Following the passing of the late Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg on Sept. 18, President Trump announced he would be nominating Amy Coney Barret, a judge on the Seventh U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Chicago, as the successor on the Supreme Court.  

Coney Barrett is a native of Metairie, Louisiana, where she attended St. Mary’s Dominican High School. She later would attend Rhodes College in Memphis, Tennessee, where she received a bachelor’s degree in English in 1994. She earned her Juris Doctor (JD) from the University of Notre Dame Law school in 1997, graduating summa cum laude.  

Her past experiences include being an associate at the law firm Miller, Cassidy, Larocca, and Lewin in Washington, DC. She has taught as a member of Notre Dame Law School’s faculty since 2002. 

She and her husband have seven children, including two of whom are adopted, and one with Down syndrome. Her family are devout Catholics, holding conservative values dear to them.  

“This should be a straightforward and prompt confirmation,” President Trump said while revealing his nomination. “I am sure it will be extremely non-controversial. We said that last time, didn’t we?” 

Calling it a “very proud moment indeed,” Trump described Barret as a woman of “towering intellect” and “unyielding loyalty to the Constitution” who would rule “based solely on the fair reading of the law.” 

One of the biggest questions that has been raised with Coney Barrett’s nomination is how the court would react on controversial issues such as abortion, healthcare, and guns now that the court could possibly lean 5-4 in favor of Republican-appointed judges.  

“By nominating Judge Amy Coney Barrett to the Supreme Court, President Trump has once again put Americans’ healthcare in the crosshairs,” wrote Senate Democratic Leader Chuck Schumer. 

“A judge must apply the law as written,” she said. “Judges are not policy makers.” Coney Barrett responded to this question in a statement. 

Oct. 22 is the date set for Coney Barrett’s confirmation vote. The Senate Judiciary Committee will first vote, and then the rest of the Senate will follow swiftly. 

Given that the Senate majority is Republican, it is expected that Coney Barrett will be confirmed swiftly to secure a majority conservative Supreme Court. Time will tell however, as we get closer to the day of the vote.