The effects of distance learning on students

Students+and+teachers+have+a+new+daily+virtual+routine+that+replaces+in-class+instruction.+

Courtesy of Creative Commons

Students and teachers have a new daily virtual routine that replaces in-class instruction.

Anna Berges, Staff Writer

One of the consequences of being in a pandemic is learning from home, which is drastically different than being in school. To some, it is beneficial having the ability to work at home and to others it is negatively affecting their mental health and grades. Most schools have been shut down since March, with few open at this time. Restrictions are coming back and so are closings.

At a variety of high schools in California, the students attending were interviewed on the topic of distance learning. Irene Kou, a sophomore at De Anza High states, “It feels like there is more pressure to want to stay silent and even if you do ask for help, most questions are not fully answered due to the lack of the in-person and hands-on experience.” Her, along with many other students agree that distance learning feels like an option rather than mandatory.

However, some students see distance learning as more laid back and less of a stressor. Aliezi De Leon, a sophomore at Middle College High said, “I also do not have to study much for tests anymore since some teachers have canceled tests for the rest of the year. I am getting through all my classes.” It is mentioned by some students that teachers have been assigning less work and being more lenient about due dates and the way they grade work.

From a teacher’s perspective, distance learning is beyond stressful on their end. It is difficult to get the students’ undivided attention. They cannot be completely sure that the students are engaged in the class due to them being in the comfort of their own homes. Technical difficulties also call for an unsuccessful lesson. It causes the content to be pushed back and interfere with original plans.

Technical difficulties also call for an unsuccessful lesson. It causes the content to be pushed back and interfere with original plans. Bill Ivey, the school dean at Stoneliegh-Burnham High was interviewed back in April, approximately one month after virtual learning had begun. Ivey states, “The emotional connection that infuses the classroom feels paper thin.”

As far as the comparison of grades from virtual learning vs. in person learning, results vary. Different teachers have their own ways on how they approach the work given and the way they grade. Writer Max Larkin stated, “Educators will fail to meet the needs of nearly a million school children at risk of academic backsliding.” He adds on to talk about the decrease in the grade point averages.

Senior De’Shauna Waters at Stephen Decatur stated, “I like distance learning because I get to make my own schedule and get things done at my own pace.” With the idea of having your assignments all online, it is likely for students to do it when they feel like it.

Teacher Scott Kurtz at Stephen Decatur states, “While this setting is not ideal for a typical high school class, those who approach this hurdle with a glass is half-full attitude will find a way to make the most out of this difficult time.” He continues to explain how students will be able to get through their work with the right mindset and time management.

With virtual learning seeming to end no time soon, adaptation for students and teachers is still difficult. Still, schools are finding ways to further improve their system of education and communicating to fully benefit students.