COVID-19 vaccine

Courtesy of Creative Commons

Doctors are constantly working on the COVID-19 vaccine to find a cure.

Jamie Adams, Staff Writer

COVID-19 has impacted the nation globally for almost a year now. Experts have been diligently working to create an effective way to protect against this virus that is foreign to many.

Although there is no approved vaccine, clinical trials have been put into place with hopes of being accessible to the public by the end of the year.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Preventions (CDC), “They are working with partners at all levels, including healthcare associations, on flexible COVID-19 vaccination programs that can accommodate different vaccines and scenarios.” One of the major initiatives that was implemented by the Trump Administration is known as Operation Warp Speed (OWS). The goal of this directive is to fast track the process to creating a vaccine.

The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services states, “Protocols for the demonstration of safety and efficacy are being aligned, which will allow the trials to proceed more quickly, and the protocols for the trials will be overseen by the federal government, as opposed to traditional public-private partnerships, in which pharmaceutical companies decide on their own protocols.”

OWS plans to develop a vaccine by early January of 2021, with the distribution of 300 million doses. As many vaccines average years to be developed, COVID-19 vaccines are unlike the rest. More than nine vaccines are in phase three of their clinical trials. When phase four is reached, the FDA is able to approve and later administer these vaccines to the public.

Since vaccines typically average years to develop, this brings concern and raises questions among the American people. The lack of transparency when developing any vaccine can cause Americans to be weary of the idea. Many jump at the thought of being protected against this virus, but others are concerned.

A poll conducted by STAT suggests that 78 percent of Americans worry that vaccine approval is driven by politics more than science. Once this vaccine is accessible to the public it will be up to each individual to decide whether or not this is something they trust and believe in.

The Governor of Maryland, Larry Hogan spoke on this topic stated, “A vaccine is on the way, but it is absolutely critical that we continue to fight this virus with everything we’ve got, and we all need to keep doing things that we know will keep us safe. It is going to help save a lot of lives, so I do not have any hesitation at all.”

Morgan Davis, a senior at Stephen Decatur High School, is highly accepting of this vaccine. She states, “I am willing to do what it takes to bring normalcy back to everyday life.”

The implementation of these vaccines have the power to return life back to normal. COVID has impacted the nation for far too long and the lives of many have been impacted in many ways. With success, the nation can become economically, emotionally and physically stable again.