How social media affects online learning

Social media is a part of everyone’s lives, whether they want it to be, or not.

Courtesy of Creative Commons

Kaitlyn Mourlas, Editor-In-Chief

Social media is in everyone’s daily lives. It knows the weather, what football team is playing next Sunday, and can easily connect someone to their distant friends and family. Although social media has been a positive impact on lives around the world, it has also negatively affected students, especially during times of virtual learning.

Many teachers around the county are struggling with students joining their Zoom classes and completing work on time. Assistant principal, Trevor Hill, shared his thoughts, “Social media allows for so many great things, but it can also be used for bad intentions. Whereas students can use social media to discuss issues and content from class, it can also be used to share answers that were supposed to be found independently. Social media can quickly become consuming for students when they are drawn in to pictures, posts, and videos that have nothing to do with the course-work and are then distracted from the learning process for hours at a time.”

Forty students and staff from around the county participated in a poll about social media. When they were asked if they thought social media affects the ability to complete online school work, 78 percent voted yes, while 22 percent voted no.

One student who participated in this poll and voted that social media does affect their ability to complete online work was senior Nico D’Amico. D’Amico stated, “I am active on social media everyday and spend lots of time online after I finish my school work. On average, I would say that I spend at least five hours on my phone everyday. I pick up my phone to respond to a text, then check social media, and an hour later I still have not put my phone down because it is so easy to get sucked in.”

Junior Danielle Consigli also thinks that social media negatively affects her progress during the school day. Consigli stated, “I turn in my work on time and join all my Zooms, but I still get so distracted by my phone. I spend the majority of my time just scrolling through pointless videos, which leads me to procrastinate on some of my work.

Social media has helped bring students, families, and friends together during the hard times of COVID-19. Although it does has positive features, during online school a majority of students find it distracting. The pandemic has made life more difficult for everybody, including students who had to transfer to online learning. Trying to complete online school work every day while still being a teenager is challenging, especially when there is another universe waiting to grab your attention in your cellphone.