Second Delmarva Blood Bank drive in the works

Senior+Tyler+Cook+smiles+while+donating.+
Senior Tyler Cook smiles while donating.

Brianna Watts

Brianna Watts

Jenna Bradford, Feature Editor

The Key Club partnered with the Delmarva Blood Bank to host its second blood drive of the year on Feb. 23 from 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. in the Stephen Decatur High School gym. The donated blood will go to different hospitals in the Delmarva area that are in need. 

Key Club advisor Sabra McIntosh explained, “Technically you can walk in, but sign-up is critical to get the time you want and to get the blood bank to staff this for a particular number of people. We want them to staff it for 90 people. If we only have 30 signed up, they’re going to staff it for 30 and it’s going to be a mess.”

According to McIntosh, this year, 74 out of the 85 signed up to donate were able to give blood. Donor hopefuls must be at least 17 years old and weigh at least 110 pounds. Some were unable to give blood for reasons such as low iron level, recent piercings or tattoos, or even because of their health history. Overall, 70 units of blood were collected. 

“[Donors] need picture proof of identification such as a driver’s license or a printed report from guidance with your picture on it,” McIntosh confirmed. If one has been inked or pierced within the last 12 months, donating blood may be out of the question. McIntosh commented on this, saying, “there is some wiggle room with that as long as you have written literature from a licensed facility that’s recognized by the blood bank as acceptable.”

The donation process takes around an hour from start to finish. Once checked in, the staff give out information for donors to read to make sure everyone is versed in why they should or should not donate blood. The staff also administers a private health history survey and takes a small sample of blood from each potential donor to test to confirm donor eligibility donate.  

It’s a needed resource in our community.”

— Sabra McIntosh

McIntosh expects to continue the blood drive in the future. “It’s a needed resource in our community.” She furthered her response by saying, “giving blood once is an indication you’ll give again. The blood bank is always in need of blood.” Based on the results of the winter and fall blood drives, on behalf of the Delmarva Blood Bank, a $625 scholarship will be donated to one senior. Details for applying will be provided by guidance soon. 

Special education teacher Mary Shockley applies pressure and holds her arm up after donating.

• Second Delmarva Blood Bank drive in the works

Student Life

Congratulations to Decatur’s newest alumni, the graduating class of 2018!

• Student Life

Seniors recognized, awarded by community

• Student Life

Winners’ ways with words

Student Life

Senior college decisions

Student Life

SDHS Band Raffle

Student Life

EverFi certification for 46 students

Student Life

Prom 2018

• Student Life

Senior schedule leading to graduation

• Student Life

Band and orchestra departs on annual Spring trip

Student Life

“Noises Off” proves to be a crowd favorite