A year ago today…

Courtesy of Renee Fohner

Our life changed very quickly in March of 2020, and it is slowly coming back to normalcy.

Renee Fohner, staff writer

The days a year ago were spent waking up past noon, sipping on whipped coffee, doing Chloe Ting ab workouts, watching countless hours of TikTok and Netflix and ending the evening with a family walk around the neighborhood. Now, as the world is entering a new form of normalcy, it is time to look back at how different life was just a year ago.

With students receiving their education through Zoom or in person with social distancing restrictions and masks, people wonder if life will ever go back to normal. Almost every country was shut down, with COVID-19 cases skyrocketing and no one understanding how to lower them.

According to Statists.com the cases in April 2020 were roughly around 30,000 and rapidly increasing. In April 2021, cases have continued to increase, though less rapid, as areas begin to surge. Many areas have started the process of going back to normal, increasing the amount of contact and in return, making the amount of cases go up.

Students and parents were told school would be closed for two weeks as of March 13. Little did they know some students would not come into the school building for another 11 months. Seniors and spring-sport athletes wished to go back to school, to get a chance to finish what was rudely interrupted, but that was unfortunately not the case.

Summer Vorsteg, a Decatur alumni and freshman at Shepard University, lost her senior season due to COVID-19. “Last spring was a tough few months between senior year and lacrosse getting cancelled. I think the hardest part was how abruptly it stopped. We thought those two weeks of ‘spring break’ were going to be it, but we never came back,” Vorsteg stated.

On March 25, 2020, Worcester County Public Schools announced all schools would be closed through April 24. The excitement from being off school quickly faded away as teachers began uploading class work into Schoology. Students were able to see their work, complete it and submit by uploading a picture. Teachers were unable to lower grades, making students all across the county lose all motivation to do work. This especially happened once Governor Larry Hogan canceled school for the rest of the academic school year on May 6.

Maddie Pusey, a sophomore at Stephen Decatur, was one of several students upset about Governor Hogan continuing to cancel school. “When Governor Hogan kept closing school, part of me was upset because I could not go back and say bye to some people. I missed being around others, but I was also happy because that meant I did not have to go to school for six hours to do work that takes me barely one hour to do,” Pusey stated.

As the world is continuing on with this new way of life, there must be changes to what was done pre-pandemic. Instead of Stephen Decatur’s normal graduation at the Convention Center, it was turned into a boardwalk parade that many people seemed to enjoy more than the ceremony. “I was way happier with how our graduation parade turned out rather than having it at the Convention Center” Vorsteg stated.

This upcoming June, Decatur plans to hold a graduation ceremony in the stadium, as well as having a boardwalk parade for everyone to attend.