Addicted to our phones

Courtesy of Shutterstock

As the years go by, more people can be seen becoming addicted to screens.

Anna Berges, Staff Writer

With modern technology, it is hard to limit yourself to just a couple of hours of screen time a day. At home, there is the opportunity to be on phones, watch television, etc. At school, there are iPads where most work and assignments are completed on. Being on numerous devices daily affects people not just physically, but mentally as well.

Being “addicted to your phone” is actually a real thing. Causing damage to the frontal lobe of the brain, dopamine receptors and transporters are affected, according to Victoria L. Dunkley, M.D, child psychiatrist. This leads to the cravings of screen time, and disfunction cognitively.  

Strained, dry eyes, and blurred vision comes with the effects of screens. Typically posture is affected, which can have long term effects, coming into play in later years.

The recommended screen time by the American Academy of Pediatrics for teenagers has always been no more than two hours. Looking back at the last two academic years, some students were confined to these screens for the entire school day. Being stuck in the house during COVID-19 quarantines and lockdowns resulted in some students choosing to surrounded themselves with social media, which can be mentally harmful.

Getting out of school at 2:40 P.M. leaves the entire rest of the afternoon and night to be behind the screens.

“My screen time for November 8 was nine hours and thirty-five minutes. Sometimes it is more and sometimes it is less, but it is definitely hard to tell that I have been on the phone for that long. In the future, I know that this can effect my eyesight negatively. Already, I get headaches from time to time and I am guessing it is from the phone,” said senior Cassie Perry.

Excessive screen time also can lead to sleeping problems. The quality of your sleep is likely to be disrupted when being so involved with these devices. Looking at bright screens late at night can reduce the amount of melatonin taken in, which is needed to be able to stay asleep.

“On November 8, my screen time was seven hours and ten minutes. I can see that being on my phone for too much causes me to procrastinate with my schoolwork,” said senior Miguel Cervantes.

Indulging in mobile phones will occupy time negatively and cause lack of self-control. Procrastinating can increase amounts of stress, especially after not using time wisely.

Mentally, looking at these screens for several hours a day can cause problems with anxiety and depression. Finishing tasks can start to become a problem, as well as it affecting the aspect of social life. It can be hard to make friends for those who allow themselves to get stuck on these devices daily.

“For November 8, my screen time was six hours and fifty-two minutes – that is actually not as bad as it normally is, which says a lot,” said sophomore Kaylee Leaken. “My phone is absolutely a distraction and it is hard for me to get things done when my phone is always with me.”