Decatur Football’s 2021 Success

Stephen Decatur’s football team had a successful 2021-2022 season, with a winning record and making it to the state playoffs.

Decatur won against Wicomico High School on Nov. 12 in a battle to move onto states. The Seahawks scored three touchdowns that night, by junior Luke Mergott and sophomores Brycen Coleman and Gavin Solito. With only 14 seconds left and the teams tied at 27, Sophomore Brogan Eastlack kicked a field goal to win the game for Decatur, 30-27.

“I felt all nerves running through my body and I knew I just had to focus so I lined up the kick and put it through for my team,” Eastlack said.

Decatur lost to Wicomico 47-41 earlier in the season, showing their improvement as individuals and as a whole.

Senior Quarterback Ashten Snelsire has been an influence to his surrounding teammates this year, and throughout his high school career. Starting on Varsity as a freshmen, he has excelled through his high-school football career.

“When coach Coleman came along the team started to have more guys that wanted to be there, we started to have better practices, and the student section got bigger,” Snelsire says. “We’ve got a lot more people at the games and the energy is really positive and strong which turns every game into something people want to go to.”

School spirit for sports at Decatur has risen with the year of coming back to school after over a year of sitting at home. Students having more spirit for the Decatur football team gives the team more support and reasoning to play quality ball.

With Decatur Football’s stats being 3-7 in 2018 and 3-6 in 2019, Decatur ended the season with a winning 8-4 record. This team has shown great improvement from the past and strives to continue to get even better.

The top all-purpose yards obtained for the 2021-2022 season was from Senior Zimere Handy with 717 yards and Sophmore Brycen Coleman following Handy with 695 yards.

The top defensive tackles made were from senior Kresen Muir with 67 tackles and following, junior Deagan Risser with 56 tackles.