SGA door decorating contest

Courtesy of Renee Fohner

Mr. Krall decorated an underwater scene with SpongeBob.

It is that time of the year, where Stephen Decatur High School’s Student Government Association, or SGA, has their annual door decorating contest.

Each fourth period class has the option to decorate their door to show holiday cheer before break. Students and teachers have had all week to brainstorm ideas on how to make the best door, and they have until Monday, Dec. 13 to put it all together.

Because of COVID-19, students were not in school this time last year, and doors were not decorated. Being back this year makes teachers and students much more eager to go all-out on their doors.

In years past, the best door was voted by an online survey after all doors were completed.

To keep contact minimal and allow easy voting for students, QR codes have been placed outside each door. To vote, just place a phone or iPad camera up to the code, let it scan, and click the link that appears to give each door a rating. This method gives the opportunity to give doors five out of five stars, or even one out of five stars to keep other doors in first place.

The voting will begin on Tuesday, Dec. 14 at 7:30 a.m. and will end on Wednesday, Dec. 15 at 3:00 p.m., when the final votes will be counted. The class with the winning door will be gifted holiday treats on Thursday, Dec. 16, before students leave for holiday break.

As students walk around the school, with their phones out to grade each door, they will walk past snowmen and snowflakes, Santa Clause and his reindeer, elves and their presents, fireplaces crackling with their paper logs, and much more.