PROMise Week

Mackenzie Lawrence

Pictured: A poster made by SADD Club detailing PROMise Week.

Mackenzie Lawrence, Staff Writer

The week leading up to prom is full of anticipation and stress for many students attending Stephen Decatur or any other high school in general. In efforts to make this a better week for students and spread the message of staying safe on the weekend of prom, Decatur created “PROMise Week.” 

Throughout PROMise Week, students are asked to dress up in many different outfits to promote staying safe and supporting those battling cancer.   

Monday, April 25 – Cancer Awareness Colors 

On Monday, students will be wearing colors supporting different forms of cancer. Each grade has a different color that is aimed toward a specific type of cancer.  

• Freshmen wore grey to support brain cancer. 
  • Sophomores dressed in gold or orange to represent childhood cancer and leukemia  
  • Juniors wore teal or blue to support ovarian and colon cancer. 
  • Seniors sported black to represent skin cancer.  

This is fitting right now because three Decatur students are battling cancer currently along with math teacher Lance Draheim’s 4-year old daughter Lakelyn, who is fighting Grade 4 DIPG with H3K27M mutation.  

Tuesday, April 26 – Lifeguard Day 

Lifeguard Day encourages students to “guard” your life against bad choices during this upcoming weekend. On this day, Decatur tells students to dress like lifeguards wearing hats, sunscreen, and sunglasses.   

Wednesday, April 27 – Pink Day 

Pink Day encourages students not to drink with the slogan, “Don’t drink, wear pink!” Pink Days have also been used in the past to show our support for Lakelyn Draheim. This day not only spreads a positive message for the weekend, but also shows Decatur’s support for Lakelyn.  

Thursday, April 28 – Jersey Day/Sports Star 

Jersey Day/Sports Star encourages students to “team up against drugs.” To participate in this day, students are asked to wear jerseys or dress in sports attire.  

Friday, April 29 – Neon Day 

Neon Day encourages students to wear any bright attire that they own. This spreads the message that all students have a “bright” future ahead of them and should stay safe throughout this weekend.   

Be sure to dress up for PROMise Week to show that you are staying safe this weekend!