Students featured at Worcester County Arts competition

Worcester County Arts Council photo
Pictured (back row, L to R): Monica Forrester, Jamari Savage, Mara Minkey, Ella Haley, Genevieve Eggers, Katie Gordon, Karen Ciancitto, Abigale Vadella, George Zaiser (front row, L to R): Alex Tobiassen, Janet Cho, La’kya Dickerson, Angeline Todorov, Daisy Harris

The Worcester County Arts Council in Berlin held its annual High School Arts competition, along with an awards ceremony.

Sponsored by the Ocean City-Berlin Optimist Club (OCOC), the Feb. 9 competition recognizes high school artists from around the county, and the talent and effort has gone into their art.

Their mission with this show is to recognize and encourage the young artists of Worcester County. They are also dedicated to promoting and showing the importance of art in Worcester County, and in our education.

The show featured art from all high schools around the county, including Pocomoke High School, Snow Hill High School, Stephen Decatur High School, and Worcester Preparatory School.

The competition gave out $2,000 in cash prizes to the winning students. The art was judged across various categories such as painting, drawing and digital. Along with the first place, second place, and third place awards, two additional awards were also given out: the honorable mention and the people’s choice award.

The people’s choice award was decided by a vote. People who visited the open gallery from February 1-8 got to vote for the pieces in each category they wanted to win.

There also was a gift certificate chosen and provided by the Blick art company, for the winner of their choice. The art was judged by WCAC board member Doris Glover.

On the night of the awards, there was an open gallery and reception before they gave out the awards at 6 p.m. There were also free catered snacks provided by the Worcester Technical High School Culinary Arts Students, and their instructor Chef Phil Cropper, who is also vice-president of the OCOC.

Before the awards, OCOC members met each student artist and got their picture taken with their art. When it was time for the awards, administrative assistant Sharon Sorrentino gave a little soliloquy about the show and congratulated all the artists. She then introduced the teachers from each of the schools participating.

Former OCOC president Bill Hickey greeted all the families and student artists, then briefly spoke, saying how proud of all the artists before the awards. Then WCAC board member Doris Glover went on to announce the winners, giving each student some commentary on the piece and why she chose it, and what she admired about it.

The 1st place winner for digital was Jamari Savage’s “Memorabilia.” First Place for painting was Izzy Huber’s “Emersion.” The First Place winner for drawing was Ella Haley’s “Unspoken Words.”

LIST OF WINNERS

DIGITAL:

1st Place – Jamari Savage, “Memorabilia” Worcester Technical High School

2nd Place – Alexia Shepherd, “Winter” Pocomoke High School

3rd Place – Mia Jaoude, “Lightning Dragon” Worcester Preparatory School

Honorable Mention – Mikayla Towns, “Amanda Seyfried Mama Mia” Worcester

Preparatory School

DRAWING:

1st Place – Ella Haley, “Unspoken Words” Stephen Decatur High School

2nd Place – Angeline Todorov, “Pavo Christatas” Worcester Preparatory School

3rd Place William Richardson, “Self-Identity Mandala” Snow Hill High School

Honorable Mention – Genevieve Eggers, “Busy Bees” Stephen Decatur High School

PAINTING:

1st Place – Izzy Huber, “Emersion” Worcester Preparatory School

2nd Place – Katie Gordon, “Morning Friend” Stephen Decatur High School

3rd Place – Magnolia Harris Blackburn, “Storm’s Coming” Snow Hill High School

Honorable Mention – La’Kya Dickerson, “Night Sky” Pocomoke High School

BLICK GIFT CERTIFICATE: Mara Minkey, “An Artificial Future” Worcester Technical

High School

PEOPLE’S CHOICE:

Kate Gordon, “Morning Friend” Stephen Decatur High School