Spring Sports Preview

The Hawk photo
Members of the boys lacrosse team suit up for Media Day photos on March 18. Pictured (L to R): junior Luke Popielaski, senior Adam Nguyen, sophomore Parker Mason, junior Graham Geiser, senior Evan Oglesby, junior Frankie Buxbaum.

Stephen Decatur is becoming more of a winning school with three different teams winning state  titles in the fall and winter season. Now, Decatur looks to add more to their tally this coming spring.  With our spring season officially under way here is a look at our spring sports team.

BASEBALL

The Stephen Decatur baseball team had an extraordinarily successful year last year, winning  the Bayside championship and making it to the state semifinals.

This year will be more difficult; they re-classed schools, and Decatur will face tough schools with good baseball programs. The Seahawks  themselves have an amazing baseball program, great coaches, talented players, and continue to develop  kids through their JV program. Keep an eye on these Seahawks for they are bound to have a fantastic season. 

SOFTBALL

This team had a historic year last year winning the regional final and making it all the  way to the state semifinals. With an amazing coaching staff and eight out of nine starters returning this  year, they should have another fantastic year. Last year was a wonderful experience for all  the girls getting to experience the pressure of a must win game under their belt that will set them up  perfectly to make a deep playoff run this season.

BOYS LACROSSE

Last season ended with amazing potential for this coming season. The boys ended the regular  season with a 9-3 record, winning the Bayside South. The Seahawks lost an important leader on the team  in Gabe Geiser, but his younger brother Graham is certain someone will be able to step up and fill  his shoes.

“Gabe was the glue to our team; a senior leader is needed in any sport. Someone will have to  step up and I know someone will,” said Graham.

He is among a very promising group of players, with some of the standouts being sophomore attacker Ashton March,  and sophomore defender Trey Strickle. The boys will look to win the Bayside this year and make it far  into the playoffs.

GIRLS LACROSSE

This exceptional group had a phenomenal year last year, going 8-4 in the  regular season and making it all the way to the state quarter final after winning the region. They  dominated their way to the state quarterfinal game slamming Easton in the regional semifinal 22-7 then  battering the Parkside Rams in the regional final 19-6.

The team lost 9-6 in an extremely close game to C. Milton Wright. The girls lost a handful of seniors, but have a plethora of underclassmen returning with significantly more experience than last year. The whole school has great expectations for this team this season.

BOYS TENNIS

Last year this team had another positive year, ending the season with a record  of 9-5. The boys had an extraordinarily strong and young team with not one of the starters being a  senior. Everyone took last year as a fantastic opportunity to learn and grow individually as a team.

Together, Matt Beck and David Janney won the regional  finals as a doubles team. Now both seniors, Beck will return this year but unfortunately Janney, the expected  number one and captain of the team, will miss the entire season with an ACL injury.

GIRLS TENNIS

The Girls Tennis team had an amazing year last year finishing with an 8-7 record and 5-1  record in the Bayside South. There are eight girls returning from last year with the standout players  being Junior Emily Ferguson and rising star Junior Ana Pene Rodriguez. The team has  only one senior this year, so they will be able to build the team this year and keep a strong close team  going into next year.