Monday, November 25

Today Celebrates: National Parfait Day!

Lunch for today includes: Mini Cheese Calzones with Marinara Dipping Sauce, Cheese Steak Sub, Baked Sweet Potato Rounds, Steamed Mixed Vegetables, Chilled Mixed Fruit, Roll, and Milk.

More college students are turning to their schools for help with anxiety, depression and other mental health problems, and many must wait weeks for treatment or find help elsewhere as campus clinics struggle to meet demand, an Associated Press review of more than three dozen public universities found. On some campuses, the number of students seeking treatment has nearly doubled over the last five years while overall enrollment has remained relatively flat. The increase has been tied to reduced stigma around mental health, along with rising rates of depression and other disorders. Universities have expanded their mental health clinics, but the growth is often slow, and demand keeps surging.

Holiday bakers, listen up. There could be a sugar shortage in the U.S., and just in time for the holidays.The USDA announced sugar production has dropped significantly in recent weeks because of adverse weather in the sugar beet and sugarcane regions. According to the November 2019 World Agricultural Supply and Demand Estimates Report, sugar production dropped 572,000 short tons raw value from the previous month. The USDA says ongoing weather concerns could threaten further decreases in sugar production. The agency will announce in the coming weeks what it plans to do to make sure there’s an adequate sugar supply in the U.S.

There will be a brief Relay For Life Team meeting, TODAY, after school in the DNN studio. We will meet at 3:00 pm to discuss leadership roles and upcoming fundraisers.

Are you interested in performing the National Anthem at a sporting event this winter? See Mr. Greenwood in C-174 or Mrs. Fenzel-Mergott in A-121 for an application.

Attention Connections members and Service Learning students. Connections’ annual Pajama Drive, collecting new children’s pajamas for the families of Diakonia for the holidays will take place from now until December 6. For every pair of Pajamas donated, a scholastic book will also be given to a child. Please drop off any Pajamas in Mrs. Chetelat’s room, A175.

The 2020 Seahawk yearbook on sale for 75 dollars! Stay tuned for a Black Friday Coupon code that will save you 10 dollars off that price, available only on Friday the 29th!

The Decatur Film Society will meet TOMORROW, November 26th for our discussion on Fantastic Mr. Fox and to vote for our next film. The meeting will last for about 45 minutes and remember, there will be NO after school transportation provided. Please see Mr. Thompson with any questions.

Decatur is proudly participating in the Crayola ColorCycle recycling program. Bring in any old markers of any brand, highlighters, dry erase markers and more, then drop them in the recycle bin in the main office. Program runs until December 18. Again, recycle all plastic markers in the main office until December 18th.

At 3:00 PM Unified Bowling competes at Ocean Lanes – departure at 3:00

At 4:00 PM Boys JV Basketball plays Delmar in a scrimmage at home

At 5:00 PM Boys Varsity Basketball plays Delmar in a scrimmage at home

Remember to base your decisions on the Decatur Way principles. Pride, Achievement, Respect, and Responsibility! Make it a Marvelous Monday Decatur!!