State Champs!

Decatur football defeats Huntingtown 21-13 to take home first-ever state title

Stephen Decatur High School’s football team carved its name into the history books on Nov. 30, 2023, by winning its first-ever state championship game.

Even more special was how they did it: Head Coach Jake Coleman led his squad to an undefeated season, both in conference and playoff games: 14 wins, zero losses.

Better still? How this group of boys bonded like brothers and, week after week, win after win, the whole school rallied behind them.

What makes this historic championship particularly sweet? Not only will the players and their coaches savor the thrill of vicory for a lifetime, but the Seahawks’ title run so remakably brought together the entire community. When Coach Coleman created an online fundraiser to cover the cost of championship rings for players, Decatur Nation showed up, big time, by pledging to donate about $20,000 – in barely 24 hours. You don’t have to be a football fan to appreciate that.

In the years to come, it’s safe to say that the players, coaches, and pretty much everyone else along for the ride won’t remember just the final score, but how our hometown responded when they brought home the win. Congrats to this Seahawk team for an amazing, inspiring, and truly unforgettable 2023 season. – The Hawk