A Whimsical Winter Concert

Emmalyn Fetters photo
Student musicians performed at the Winter Concert at Stephen Decatur High School on Dec. 19, led by director J.D. Foell.

On December 19 at 7 p.m., friends and family gathered in the Stephen Decatur High School auditorium to bear witness to the Decatur marching band and orchestra concert.

The lights began to dim as the ever-approaching sounds of instruments flooded the theatre. The beating of drums, tooting of trumpets, and soothing symphonies of the saxophones marched behind drum major Jonah Ridgely.

They entered behind the audience, an exciting detail carefully decided by their erudite teacher, Mr. Foell. The marching band beautifully executed multiple holiday-themed songs, wowing the crowd before them.

The orchestra began shortly after, their swing tunes bringing more joy and peace into the nearly full room, helping spread holiday cheer much further than just the four walls of Stephen Decatur High School.

The performance then continued outside, the marching band finishing off the night with a warm tone to soften the blow of the bone-chilling winds. So, well done to all that performed that night, as it was a magical event one will not forget

Above: Orchestra director J.D. Foell at the Dec. 19 Winter Concert, held in the auditorium of Stephen Decatur High School. (Emmalyn Fetters photo)