Foo Fighters “But Here We Are” Shows Raw Emotion

Foo Fighters/Oliver Halfin
    Foo Fighters perform at a tribute concert in London for their late drummer Taylor Hawkins in September 2022.

Foo Fighter’s eleventh studio album “But Here We Are,” express the complex emotions of grief and loss through meaningful lyrics and guitar solos that show much more than talent from frontman and lead guitarist Dave Grohl.

Grohl, along with the rest of the members of Foo Fighters, experienced grief first-hand after the sudden passing of drummer Taylor Hawkins on March 25, 2022.

Hawkins joined the band in 1997 after the departure of the band’s original drummer, William Goldsmith. Hawkins’ last performance was on March 20, 2022, at Lollapalooza Argentina. Hawkins passed away at the Four Seasons Hotel in Bogota, Columbia. He was set to play a show with the Foo Fighters later that evening.

An autopsy concluded Hawkins had a copious number of drugs in his system at the time of his death. It was also released that his heart weighed at least 600 grams, which is double the average size. Professionals said his heart could have collapsed even without the drugs in his system. The band canceled all tour dates after the tragic passing to mourn.

Only five months after the passing of Hawkins, Grohl experienced another personal loss. His mother Virginia Grohl passed away in August 2022. Grohl stated in many interviews that his mom was his best friend and she constantly motivated him to write.

Each song off the album, released on June 2, 2023, covers similar themes of mourning and loss in their own way. One of the most popular songs off the album, “The Glass,” expresses the feeling of separation after losing someone.

The outro says: “I had a vision of you, and just like that; I was left to live without it, left to live without it.” The lyrics show how someone dealing with loss is left with only photos and memories of their loved one.

The second track on the album, “Under You,” shows how Grohl feels after losing Hawkins. In the second verse, Dave sings: “Someone said I’ll never see your face again/Part of me just can’t believe it’s true.” Grohl, along with the rest of the members, must learn to live without Hawkins, their closest friends. This song expresses a strong feeling of loss and mourning that many listeners will relate to.

One of the most personal songs, and arguably one of the best songs on the album, is titled “The Teacher.” This heartfelt song is the longest Foo Fighters song, with the song in its entirety being 10 minutes and four seconds long.

Virginia Grohl was a schoolteacher for most of her life, and Dave credits her for teaching him everything he knows. The one thing she did not teach him, however, is how to deal with loss. In the song, Grohl calls out for guidance as he deals with the losses he faced.

In the fourth verse, he sings, “You showed me how to breathe, never showed me how to say goodbye.” Throughout the song, Dave says that his mother taught him how to live, but she never taught him how to live after she passed. The song is filled with raw emotion conveyed through the lyrics and instrumentals.

“But Here We Are” was written during a time of mourning for the members of Foo Fighters. Each track shows the raw emotion that surrounds grief and loss through beautifully written lyrics and heartfelt instrumentals.

HAWK RATING: 9.5/10