“The Beekeeper” is worth the buzz

Jason Statham stars in action-packed thriller
    Jason+Statham+stars+in+The+Beekeeper%2C+released+Jan+12.+
    Miramax
    Jason Statham stars in “The Beekeeper,” released Jan 12.

“The Beekeeper,” released on January 12, is directed by David Ayer, who is credited for ac-claimed movies such as “Fury” and “Suicide Squad.”

With a budget of $40 million, “The Beekeeper” provides many action sequences while keeping true to the storyline.

The movie begins with bee-keeper Adam Clay (Jason Statham) capturing a hornet’s nest for a woman named Mrs. Parker (Phycilia Rashad). Mrs. Parker rents out her barn to Clay, so he has a place to sleep and take care of bees.

She thanks him for taking care of the hornet issue that raided her property and invites him over to dinner that night. Adam agrees and walks out of the Parker house to take care of the bees. Mrs. Parker logs onto her computer only to notice an alert on her computer about her data and information being stolen.

The elderly woman contacts the number on her screen and tells them the issue she is facing. The number she calls is a scam, and they steal all of her assets. Shocked and saddened, she drives herself to suicide.

Clay goes over to her house later in the night for dinner and finds her dead on her chair. FBI Agent Verona Parker (Emmy Raver-Lampman), Mrs. Parker’s daughter, is also at the house and suspects Clay of the heinous crime. The beekeeper tells her everything he knows and is eventually set free from the custody of the police. Clay finds out about the scam and is enraged that someone would intentionally hurt an elderly woman.

It is then revealed that Clay has connections with the CIA and contacts them to find out the location of the scammers. Once Clay receives insight about the company and its whereabouts, he tracks them down and blows up the build-ing, killing two security guards and scaring the manager of the building.

As the movie progresses, it is revealed that Clay was a retired member of the CIA’s secret operation, the Beekeepers, a highly-trained group that often uses their violent ways to help track and locate bad people.

The Beekeepers are so trained that it is near impossible for most people to harm them. Derek contacts his mother’s friend, Wallace Westwyld (Jeremy Irons), who was formally the head of the CIA, desperate for Westwyld to help him. Westwyld only confirms Danforth’s fears, by saying that Adam Clay is a Beekeeper, meaning that he is highly trained, motivated, and nearly impossible to kill.

“The Beekeeper” is filled with fighting and action while sticking to the interesting storyline. Overall, it is a good action movie that keeps viewers entertained throughout.

HAWK RATING: 8/10