No joy from Jo Koy at 2024 Golden Globe awards

“Barbie” star Margot Robie walks the red carpet at the 2024 Golden Globe awards, held Jan. 7, 2024. (photo courtesy Getty Images)

Are you interested in filmmaking and everything Hollywood? Then you’d love the Golden Globes Awards. This award ceremony focuses on actors’ achievements and the accomplishments of the films themselves.

At the 2024 Golden Globe Awards, many prominent celebrities attended. These included the casts for the movies “Oppenheimer” and “Barbie,” Taylor Swift, Emma Stone, Jennifer Lawrence, Leonardo DiCaprio, Timothée Chalamet, and many others.

On the red carpet, fans rushed to critique and admire their favorite stars’ outfits on social media. The host of this year’s Golden Globes was stand-up comedian and actor, Jo Koy. There are 27 categories that are voted on.

Some major wins from the night were “Barbie” winning Cinematic and Box Office Achievement, “What Was I Made For?” winning Best Original Song in a Motion Picture, “Oppenheimer” winning Best Motion Picture for a Drama, and Christopher Nolan winning Best Motion Picture Drama for “Oppenheimer.”

The host, Jo Koy, got some backlash on social media from “jokes” he made about Barbie and Taylor Swift. These included inappropriate comments and rude remarks. He tried to defend himself during the show by saying he only had ten days to prepare and that the writers came up with the jokes.

Some people took it upon themselves to rewrite the jokes and make them not so demeaning to prove he didn’t have to say the things he did. I think giving Jo Koy more time to prepare for the ceremony by reading over the comments and getting others’ opinions beforehand could be beneficial and go over better with fans.

Sometimes at award shows you don’t know who anyone is or any of the films. The Golden Globes recognized very popular movies that deserved recognition and actors who played their roles phenomenally. The red-carpet fashion was amazing. I particularly loved Taylor Swift’s green dress from Gucci.

“Barbie” star Margot Robbie’s outfit really embodied her movie very well. One of my favorite things is when actors match their outfits to their films. She had on a pink sequin dress from Armani with a pink tulle boa Some of the fashion however was not my favorite.

“The Last of Us” actor Bella Ramsey’s outfit was not something I liked. To me, it was boring and wasn’t the best match for a red-carpet event.

The first Golden Globes happened in 1944. It was the first award presentation for esteemed achievements in the film industry.  Today, the ceremony is held every January and is a major event in the film industry. This year’s was on January 7.

Overall, the 2024 Golden Globe Awards went well. There were some controversies with the host, but all the attendees were drama-free. It is so important to recognize amazing talent and that is what the Golden Globes did. The fashion was stunning, and I was happy with the winners of each category. I will definitely be tuning in next year to see who is there and what films win!