Summer Jobs Are Part Of Work-Life Balance

Submitted photo
SDHS student Adriana Staley works at Harborside Bar & Grill.

During the school year, students are constantly stressed with various projects, tests, and homework assignments given to them. But for many students, they must learn to maintain balance between their school life, personal life, and work life.

Many students at Stephen Decatur work during the summer in various parts of Ocean City.  The majority of students make their income in the service industry during the summertime.

During the wintertime, or the off season, many businesses close until April or May because the profits are not high enough to keep the business open year-round. However, some businesses stay open all year long.

Most of the businesses that stay open have been in the industry for years and have seen the tough times that plague them in the off-season.

One of the restaurants that remain open during the off-season is Harborside Bar and Grill. Harborside opened its doors in 1993 with the help of owners Christopher Wall and Lloyd Whitehead.

One of the employees at Harborside Bar and Grill is 16-year-old Adriana Staley. Adriana is a sophomore here at Decatur and is on track to graduate a year early.

She works as a host year-round, usually working four days a week. She is well-admired by her other co-workers at the establishment and praised for her hard work.

When it comes to time management, “I create a schedule,” she said.  “I knew if I didn’t do all my work during the school day, it would never get done.  So even if I have to dedicate time during lunch to do schoolwork, I will so I don’t fall behind in class.”

Making a schedule and prioritizing said schedule can be difficult for many to maintain due to procrastination or prior obligations, but it is very helpful to successfully manage time.

Adriana works four days a week at Harborside Bar and Grill, which leaves her time to do her homework either after work or on one of her three days off.

“Working doesn’t affect my grades unless I let it,” she said. “There have been times where I felt like work and making money were more important. But, as I watched my grades fall, I realized that I needed to change something and learn to prioritize school work.”

Many students face the difficult challenges that come with maintaining school and work and finding a healthy relationship with the two.

Although some people struggle with balancing work and school, many find it rewarding.

“You gain so many new relationships.” Adriana said. “You learn how to do things from multiple perspectives. Sometimes people at work can be frustrating and you learn how to deal with that.  It also helps you gain a sense of responsibility and respect towards others. The money in my bank account is also pretty rewarding.”

Many students at Decatur have jobs both during the summer season and the off-season. Wisely managing time between school and work is crucial to be able to succeed in both.  Time management skills such as these can help prepare students for life after graduation.